What is page Metadata?
Consisting of a web page’s title and description, metadata in the most simple terms is “data about data”. The page title and page description information are encoded into the page, but are not actually visible on the website.
Why is Metadata so important for my website?
Simply put, SEO (search engine optimization). The metadata title tag is the single most important element on the page for telling search engines what the page is about and which keywords to focus on. The optimal length for a Metadata page title is 50-60 characters long. While the metadata page description is a short summary of what the web page is about. Search engines such as Google display some or all of the page description in the search results in addition to the page title. A well written description can influence users to click on the link from the search results and visit your website.
How do I set up Metadata on my website pages?
- To get started, in the WordPress left panel navigate to “Pages”.
- In the “Pages” section, hover over the page you want to update and click the “Edit” button (NOT Edit with Elementor).
- This will load the backend page information. To edit the page’s metadata scroll down to the bottom of the screen to the “Yoast SEO” section (reference screenshot).
- From here you can add/edit the web page’s “SEO title” and “Meta description”.
- To save your changes to the page metadata, click the blue “Update” button at the top of the screen.